Tuesday 15 March 2016

The Victory Dance

So when i first started this blog I said that it had always been an ambition of mine to build a tube amp, and about a month after starting the endeavour it is done and working. Literally the first thing I've built from basic electrical components in quite a while, and certainly the most complex for as long as I can remember.

It's been a journey across large component orders, tracking down chassis, having to order missing parts, learning how and how not to drill into metal, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I've understood some of the circuit parts and mods as well, although nowhere near as much as I'd have liked to as ended up doing more building that examining, but that's all down to excitement right?

So, since the last blog I literally just dremeled down the longer mid shaft (pictures are from before I did that) from the replacement pot and that's it, nothing else, as it's all working!

Anyway, the next thing on the todo list is to give this amp a home. I got back my headshell from Barry at Vyse Amps who has done an excellent job, and all it needs is for me to source so cool looking grills and learn how to tolex it with the tolex I ordered about 1-2 weeks ago and am waiting for. That should be fun.

In the end, here we have it, one fully functional but currently homeless Slo Clone, a 100w high gain beast of an amp. Awesome :)






Oh, almost forgot, how does it sound? Well, first off, this has more gain that I thought it would have, seriously. The crunch channel with the gain at 7-8 is a very very usable tight rhythm sound which is pretty damn awesome, so very pleased with that. The cleans are really nice as well, which I should have expected, but still is surprising, need to play around with a bit more on the clean/crunch channel because, well, been obsessed by the OD channel.

And boy does it deliver, thick brown soundy gain that is just awesome. It's not as tight as some of the modern high gain metal heads, instead having more of a rock vibe, but don't get me wrong, you could easily do metal with this and still beat the living hell out of most "metal" amps in terms of tone and aggression.However, we all know this amp is known as "the" lead amp, and well, it delivers in spades. It just has that rock n roll edge to it where the notes feel fluid and you feel like it's working with you when you're playing. Really like it.

The thing that makes it is the whole versatility. This amp can do a lot of things, and I am really happy I built it!

I know there's no clips etc yet, it's a bit difficult plugging it into my recording setup without it being homed in it's headshell so not been able to record with it and have had to run it through a hotplate into a cab to play it so far. Once it's homed however, it'll then be able to be put through it's paces, and I'll be able to get some recordings done.

But for now, I'm just well happy it's all working.

Oh, and somehow I do think I'll be modding it here and there, just simple ones to start with though, but still, there'll be mods :D. I also might do a little bit of tidying inside the chassis, but that's just to me more OCD about it.

oh, and shit eating grin? check, that's definitely there every time i see it or play through it!

No comments:

Post a Comment