Wednesday 30 March 2016

End of my frst foray into amp building: Tolexing and putting it together, the end result

Right, so last time I just had the tolexing left to do, and thanks to some sunny weather over the weekend it got done. I was dreading it, expecting it to go pretty wrong, but, as I discovered, it's actually fairly easy, well, easier than you'd imagine.

First up, you will need, some tolex, cut to be enough to wrap round the amp with some overhang. You will need spray glue (instant adhesive stuff that you spray, wait 2-3 minutes for it to go tacky and then stick) and an exacto/hobby knife, and, well, that's it.

Process is really easy too. Wrap it round the amp, line it up, then peel back, and just start doing each side. I could explain it, but this youtube video does a far better job of explaining it all, and is what I used as a guide. Also, it really is tre that the corners can be messy, mine weren't all that great, but the amp corners hide it all, so that really does make up for any slight miscuts you do.

The seem was also fairly easy, although next time I'd do it in the middle of the base of the amp, as doing it at the side was a little bit fiddly, or I'd at least line it up so it was exactly to one side, ie, the bottom fold just slots straight into the base of the cabinet. Anyway, lessons learnt.


And well, that's pretty much it. About 1-2 hours work in all, poke the holes for chassis mount, handle mount etc through with a small sharp thing, screw on the corners to hide any weirdness in the corners (ie, mistakes), add handle and done!

I also mounted the front grill to the head cabinet using screws on the side, which gives a cool look.

Anyway, after that, just a case of slotting in the amp, screwing it in via chassis mounting screws (which in my case double up as amp feet, which is pretty usefull) and voila, one finished amp! Looks pretty damn cool eh? Really glad I went with the snakeskin, it's a very cool look for a cool amp. Really pleased how it turned out, and now thinking of what I want to make next!








1 comment: